The BabyCenter has released their list of the Top Baby Names of 2009 and the results are nothing short of miraculous. A quick glance will reveal that the most popular names are Biblical in nature, but closer analysis will reveal a leap of epic proportions:
After only three newborns being named 'Edward' in 2008 (barely squeezing out 'Ebeneezer'), the name has jumped to #226 on the popularity list for 2009.
How could a name jump from obscurity - truly the twilight of its relevance - to lionization if you will, in such a short amount of time? What could have happened in the past year to cast a new moon on a name like Edward? Who is responsible for this transformation?
Well, I think the answer is obvious: This Blog.
Occasionally, my popularity amazes even me. "GO TEAM EDWARD!!!" I hear women shouting that all the time. Thank you, all of you, for the support. And MERRY CHRISTMAS!
HA! Go TEAM EDWARD! Isn't that what we were saying as we were slipping and sliding all over ice-laden interstates on Christmas Eve? And, speaking of obscure names, have you checked out the popularity rating of mine - Benita? I think you will find it far below an obscure level, possibly non-existent!
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, here in SE Georgia, women tend to give their kids weird made up names that sound like another race. Poor kids! My name (Pamela) used to be popular in the mid-1950s. Now it's #1009. My, how the mighty have fallen. [giggle]
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Y'all! :)
I heard them often when I worked in an insurance call center - the Georgia claims always involved the most bizarre name combinations.
ReplyDeleteI would have guessed that Pamela Anderson's reputation had a lot to do with the drop in popularity of 'Pamela,' but then noticed that 'Paris' is #401. So...
Hey, don't feel bad. My name will now forever be linked to a fruit bat. Go Team Nosferatu!