The next few posts are part of the Monday Digest.
COP KILLERS
This past week a police officer was shot and killed during a traffic stop here in Alabama. The incident is of course horrible, and baffling at this time as the shooter is a 29-year old pharmacist with no violent record. Emotions are running high in the Birmingham area, and in light of the four officers killed recently in Washington state, and another officer fired at during a traffic stop in Talladega, Alabama, there are calls for harsh punishment.
I often listen to Steve & Leah in the Morning, a local talk show, on my way in to work. This morning was no exception. Today they stated a belief that anyone found guilty of shooting and killing a police officer should face a mandatory death sentence. Leah added that a restriction on appeals to just one should also be enacted.
I called in with my opinion. I'd like you to leave your opinion below. It's not hard, and it's free of charge!
After reading the article, if it's accurate, it appears that the pharmacist is at fault and the cop was an innocent victim. So sad. I pray for his family and that justice will be done.
ReplyDeleteHello, Ed. This is James from Irving, and I have a particular view on the law.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I am against the death penalty while I am, at the same time, in support of radical revisions in our own state's murder and prison laws. I do feel that if one is placed on a life sentence, that means that there has to be a radical introduction of new evidences, and not a statutory ability to get parole.
I think with that what we can reach is a place where a murder conviction is something that nobody wants, even if they are a descendent of the Kennedys.
The reason is that I question what exactly IS a hate crime?
If I murder someone it is not reasonable to assume that I did so without hating the victim. Otherwise it is manslaughter or accidental death with the prerequisite of an intentional act of personal malice, yes?
That is why I oppose holding one person's intentional murder as being worse than any other. They are all worthy of the maximum penalty, whatever that state says it must be. Is this crazy?
So, does Leah equally feel that if Joe Normal murders his neighbor, Joe should automatically get the death penalty as well? I believe that this is not what she is alluding to. Why is it that if a police officer is murdered, the murderer should be treated any differently than the person who murders his next door neighbor?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSparky, it does appear so at this time. My uneducated guess is someone has been digging into the medicine cabinet.
ReplyDeleteJames, I'm against the death penalty, but only because I don't trust the state to be objective, especially in the case where a police officer is killed. As for 'Hate Crimes,' this trend is a horrible breach of law. The thought that someone getting shot is somehow worse that me getting stabbed to death is unconscionable in a justice system. And like you said, isn't 'hate' already involved? Is the qualification of the perp's hatred of me dependent upon my social, economic, or ethnic classification?
Anonymous, right on! If we set up a separate set of laws, rules, and punishments for law enforcement officers, how will our system of government be any different than, say, the Philippines? Is there such a thing as a legislated junta?
Edward,
ReplyDeleteI have been working on a blog about the death penalty and I am strongly against for a couple of reasons. The main reason is the punishment does not fit the crime. I don't think it's fair that theses people who are found guilty of a capital offense get a humane punishment. Yes they are put to death but before they die they get to say good bye to loved ones,have clergy present and even get to eat their favorite meal. All things their victims were not given. Instead they need to be locked away like a caged animal for the rest of their lives and suffer. By killing them you're just putting them out of their misery. Plus studies have indicated that the death penalty does not deter people from committing murder and in a lot of cases it's cheaper to keep them alive then spend the money for appeals. Yes one appeal is a good ideal as well. Good post
You have a great point, Chris. I'm totally against them being able to say goodbye or worrying about the stress of trying to find a vein for lethal injection. (Give me a meat clever... I'll find you a vein.) But I have a suggestion that might make the anti-death penalty folks ("who are we to judge?") and the punishment-match-the-crime folks like you happy: general population announcements of convictions.
ReplyDeleteImagine it: the whole exercise yard is full at the penitentiary. The warden steps up to the mic. "Inmates, I'd like to introduce you to your newest resident. This is John Singletonberry. John was convicted of kidnapping a four-year old girl, cutting off 60% of her extremities, raping, then killing her. Y'all be sure to introduce yourselves, you hear."