Thursday, December 17, 2009

DANNY SHOWED ME...

He was working at Tractor Supply Co. when I went in for some M-T-G. Danny was vociferous and enthusiastic. He was animated, almost invading. His address of each customer was cordial, but loud. Almost shouting. And the smile on his face and in his voice was genuine.

Danny obviously had Down's Syndrome. He stood behind the counter rocking from foot to foot. The regular cashier was standing behind him because, even though he knew most of the movements, Danny didn't always remember which button to push or when. And although he was very difficult to understand, he insisted on carrying on a running dialog with each and every customer. (As I walked out the door he was making an announcement on the exterior speaker system, with his assistant following up to make sure the request was understood.)

I left with a smile on my face. The same smile that remained on Danny's face as he turned from the mic to help the next customer. I thought about how Danny made sure to speak to every customer, and about how many times I have been through a store for 45 minutes or more and gone through the checkout line without a single person speaking to me... or making an effort myself to speak to anyone else.  I thought about how much Danny enjoyed scanning the products and reading out the prices, about how mundane the job must be and how so many other people become disinterested in their own jobs, me included.

For just an instant I began to think about the issues Danny has to face in every facet of life due to his affliction. But that thought transformed into something else when I realized that Danny wasn't wasting time doing that. So I began thinking about my own set of issues. I work for a company in the construction industry. Times are tough. With the downturn of the economy I've watched our income dwindle down to just a fraction of our expenses. Every two weeks I sweat about how I'm going to be able to pay our guys. Then about whether I'm going to be able to pay myself. My job has been reduced to juggling creditors and trying to keep the lights on. I'm no fool... it can't last long like this.

My boss pointed out to me that he dreaded coming into the office of late. It seems he didn't want to see my face because I wore on it the only kind of news I've had for him: bad. I didn't bother to tell him that I've felt the same about avoiding him. Surely things will turn around soon, we fool ourselves. Actually, we're hurting because of the bursting of the so-called housing bubble. We both know that the commercial construction bubble is still yet to fail. So, while barely treading water, we're going to have to redirect the entire company.

The holidays are always a bit stressful: traveling to see family, organizing everything that needs to be organized, decorating everything that needs to be decorated, and gifting everyone who needs to be gifteed. I have to deal with my ex-wife on the kids' holiday visits, which is always a nightmare. And this year the extended family is getting together, which means we've got to scrounge the gift money for a slew of additional children. And if that weren't enough, the only reason I met Danny is that one of my horses has rain rot. That's why I needed the M-T-G.

But, hey!  I have horses. Sure, one is sickly and has problems, but he's a sweetheart. And the two mares... well, while they aren't exactly sweet, they are stout. I live on a beautiful piece of property that most could only dream about. I have a great extended family, one that I will get to visit this holiday season. And my wife's family will be coming to us. No illnesses or losses in either family for quite some time. My daughter will be joining the rest of us for the entire Christmas break.  I'm in excellent health and couldn't ask for a more loving home life.

Sure, there are problems at work. We're going through quite a tough time. But I have a job. I've watched competitors, clients, and vendors go out of business all around us. We may may just be treading water, but we're here. And I'm most thankful for that. There are many out there - about 17% of the population - that won't have a job this Christmas. When I look at it, my life is pretty darn rich right now.

I have no intention of turning this into a political diatribe, and those who are close to me know that I'm not completely sold on Sarah Palin as the savior of Conservatism. For that matter, I put no faith in any politicians.  I just don't trust their motives. And from the spiritual side, I am one that believes in coincidences. But it struck me that on the very day I met Danny I read an article about Sarah Palin's book tour bringing out the pro-lifers because she was touring with Trig, her son that was diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. I don't think he was diagnosed before birth, but I do know he wasn't planned.

I don't know that that has anything to do with me. But I can tell you this: If you see me acting a little differently at work. If I'm stepping a little higher, and smiling a little brighter. If my head and morale are higher. If my outlook has shifted over into the positive column. Don't be alarmed. I'm not on drugs. I haven't checked out of reality. And my lottery ticket is still worthless. All that's happened is that I've been shown just how life should be approached, how valuable it is, and how glad I should be to have mine.

Danny showed me.

1 comment: