Friday, October 9, 2009

HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH 2009

The AP headline says it all: In a surprise, Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize. Yes, I would say it is a surprise. Certainly to me. To other conservatives. I'll bet a lot of liberals are quite surprised, although I doubt any would admit it. Let me tell you just how surprising it is.

Few of you know that I suffer from low blood pressure. As a child I grew up in my grandfather's shop and he passed on some great mechanical skills. Most importantly, though, he taught me patience and that I shouldn't lose my temper with inanimate objects, like metals, tools, and Democrats. This patience, coupled with my advanced sense of superiority, results in my having extremely low blood pressure. To combat this situation I regularly listen to National Public Radio.

That's what I was doing on my way to work this morning when I heard the announcement that the prize from the Norwegian foundation had gone to Obama. 'For what?' came to mind. 'For his offer to host the Olympics in Chicago? For his worldwide apology tour? For making friends with the Taliban? To encourage him not to send 40,000 more troops into Afghanistan?' (BINGO! I win.) But I must admit that I was interested to hear how NPR would gloat. This is when I knew just how surprising this move was: they didn't even know how to respond. The only reaction they could muster was calling 1986 Nobel Peace Prize recipient and author Elie Weisel on the phone and asking for his reaction. I loved his book Night, but was a bit disappointed by his response to the NPR inquiry.

Weisel was clearly surprised by the award, as well. He had a hard time finding words at the beginning, and was shy to evaluate the legitimacy of another's award (as all awardees should be). He finally stated, in justifying this award, that Obama gave America the chance to correct a long-time wrong by electing a black man to the presidency. Excuse me, Mr. Weisel, but no it does not. What I or we as a nation do now does not erase, correct, deny, or change what OTHER people did LONG ago. It just speaks for who we are...now. Isn't that what remembering the Holocaust and seeing a unified and independent Germany today is all about?

And if it really is about America correcting her prejudices as Mr. Weisel suggests, how strong a statement did electing Obama really make? After all, didn't we not elect the first female president? Does that mean we love black people, just not women? That would take race out of the whole equation. A truely colorless, sexist election. I know that in my case I did not vote for Obama for a number of reasons, not one of which had anything to do with his race(s). But I'll bet there were a HUGE number of people who voted for him specifically because he is black. Hmm... is that racist?

There's really no need to go into whether a Nobel Peace Prize should be handed out for actual past deeds or in Monty Hall-esque style just to get the contestant to keep opening doors; you can decide that on your own. I don't expect to ever be placed on the board of judges or to receive one of these awards, so I don't care. But it sure is nice to think a Norwegian organization has recognized America for stopping her racist ways and finally treating a black guy right. Think I'll fly over and celebrate with a black Norwegian man... I wonder if I can find one?

2 comments:

  1. I think this excerpt from an article in Time says it all, especially the last line:

    "The last thing Barack Obama needed at this moment in his presidency and our politics is a prize for a promise.

    Inspirational words have brought him a long way - including to the night in Grant Park less than a year ago when he asked that we 'join in the work of remaking this nation the only way it's been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years - block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.' By now there are surely more callouses on his lips than his hands."

    He has callouses on his lips because he's been busy kissing terrorist countries a$$es and disgracing the country in which he STATES he was born! It's the first time I've ever heard of a peace prize being awarded for lip service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this guy's definitely full of promise, hasn't done a thing. Like when I was a teenager... I had plenty of potential. Proud to say I still have every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete