Monday, October 12, 2009

Cooler Than Fonzie...

...Less Practical Than Aunt Bea.

A company called WaterCar is introducing the Python, which is a... sort of... in a way... this:

WaterCar claims the Python is the fastest amphibious car on the planet, and who would argue, really? It is powered by the buyer's choice of Corvette engines, including the LS9 that comes in the Corvette ZR1. Decked out with that $50,000 option, WaterCar says the Python will reach 60 MPH in 4.5 seconds on the street, and will reach 60 MPH in the water. Performance almost as impressive as it's price: $220,000.00.

Check out the details and more photos at WIRED.com.

I guess it's pretty cool to be able to drive right off the boat ramp and go tooling around the lake (or English Channel, eh, Jeremy Clarkson?), but for $220,000? Surely there's a cheaper alternative? As it turns out, there is.

You can buy an actual Corvette ZR1 for about $106,000.00. It is a Corvette, so there's a pretty high cool level right there. It will get to 60 MPH in approximately 1.2 milliseonds, and will make the Kessell Run in under 12 parsecs. She's fast enough for you, old man.

Of course, Corvettes react poorly to large, deep bodies of standing water. Not a problem. I figure that for less than the $114,000 left over you can build yourself one of these:




And consider the leg room! You can only fit five friends with you in the Python, but you can fit the entire glee club on a pontoon boat. With any cash left over you can get a slip at the marina for $30 a month, or get one of these to tow the boat with. You'll be cooler than Fonzie.

4 comments:

  1. man you are a blogging machine..I have enjoyed all your post but haven't the time to respond like I wanted. Good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chris. Maybe I should print them up in book form so you can read them on the john?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. My dad's friend had a truck like the last picture.

    2. You should write a book that I could read in the john. Only you couldn't have your picture on it because it would be weird me taking a dump and your picture looking the other way. If I ever write a book I am going to put George Clooney's picture on the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I've seen only one truck that was more... ehem, whatever, than a Lil Red Express: a friend in college had modified a Chevy to look like one.
    Owning the real thing = redneck
    Owning a mock up = über redneck

    2. HAHAHA! How come every time I see Clooney with an actual woman, one or both of them is injured? Motorcycle wrecks, car door slammings, meteor strikes,... Is he THAT nervous around girls? Glad I'm not the only one to notice this.

    ReplyDelete