A multi-media blitz
What do you get when 2 million taxpayers march on Washington in opposition to public funded bailouts of private companies? 

A story on page D5 of the Akron Observer
You may have heard that there was a demonstration in our nation's capital this past weekend. According to media reports, this latest human deluge consisted of both homo- and heterosexuals supporting President Obama in his efforts to end the controversial "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" military policy. A closer examination of photos and interviews reveals that the group was not necessarily there to slap this year's Nobel Peace Prize winner on the back. It seems the issues involved ran the gamut from gay marriage to establishing the rights of gays to eat in white diners.
I know, that last one confused me, too, but chairman of the NAACP Julian Bond was the keynote speaker, comparing gay rights to the Civil Rights struggle of the last century. I've never seen a homosexual refused service in a diner because he was gay, and I'm pretty sure blacks were
allowed to marry, even prior to the Civil War. I know that homosexuals get looked down upon in certain social situations, but then, so do rednecks, bikers, lawyers, and Star Trek fans. As far as I can tell, the biggest deal in the protest was gay marriage. I just don't understand the homosexual fascination with marriage.
allowed to marry, even prior to the Civil War. I know that homosexuals get looked down upon in certain social situations, but then, so do rednecks, bikers, lawyers, and Star Trek fans. As far as I can tell, the biggest deal in the protest was gay marriage. I just don't understand the homosexual fascination with marriage.Look, that was not a prejudiced statement. I really couldn't care less if homosexuals want to get married or not: I'm heterosexual and I'm married, so I think it's too late for the existence of same-sex marriages to affect which category I'm in. I'm solidly pigeonholed by this point in my life. Besides, why would I care what someone else wants to do with their life? I know many fellow conservatives are pretty mad at that last statement, telling themselves and anyone within earshot that I am naive in my position. I'm not, and you're wrong.
Homosexuals can already have children. They can do it the natural way with a very understanding partner, or a cooperative Hippy Claus through artificial insemination, or just buying a few like Rosie O'Donnell did. By opposing gay marriage you are not going to keep kids out of the hands of gay couples. And besides,
as far as child welfare is concerned, there are a lot worse things you can be than gay.Others will argue that same-sex marriage will give gay partners all the benefits as spouses when it comes to insurance. No it won't. Insurance will or will not give them the same rights, and most are already doing it. And if the market demands it, the rest will follow suit. And shouldn't that be the way you'd want it, letting the market, rather than the government, decide how insurance benefits are paid for and distributed? I would rather have as many people as I could get in the group that shares expenses with me.
And as far as other "benefits," like estate planning: how many of you 'conservatives' were
looking forward to raiding Elton John's closet when he bites the big one? I say let his significant other have at it. I'm not interested.
looking forward to raiding Elton John's closet when he bites the big one? I say let his significant other have at it. I'm not interested.Now, to the gays out there who are fighting for legalized same-sex marriage: Are you dumb? Listen to a divorced man who has been rung through Family Court: there is absolutely no reason on earth to get married. Listen, marriage carries with it tax penalties, alimony, joint property, shared credit, sorrow, hatred, and madness. Why do we straight men get married? Because we legally can and we eventually run out of excuses. Oh how so many of us would love to be able to say, "Honey, you know I want nothing more than to marry you, but Sarah
Palin won't let me."
Palin won't let me." If you want to get married religiously, go find a church that will do it... they're out there. If you're looking for legislation-mandated marriage penalties, pull your head out of your rear, quit marching on Washington, and enjoy your ability to walk away! Besides, Barack Obama just got paid $1.4 million for doing nothing. Do you really think your Sunday afternoon walk is going to get him moving?

Well I think this whole debate for me comes down to the separation of Church and State. The easy solution would be Civil Unions for everyone then have your Church marry you in front of God. Marriage should be a commitment made before God and not the Justice of the Peace or a Judge. I’m with you on the benefits argument as well. There is really not a big advantage to being married these days anyhow. Probably explains why so many are getting divorced and staying single. As far as Gays in the military I am all for it. We have them in there now. If have a couple hundred Gays in the military and it will keep me from going to Iraq then more power to them. Also if I was to get a leg blown off and we had a Gay medic I would definitely want him to stop the bleeding and get me evacuated back to the MASH ASAP. Another news flash while on deployments men and women sleep in the same tents. While deployed to Bosnia we had women stay in our tents, change clothes and even use the bathroom in a room full of guys. I’ll spare the details but that’s how it is, having Gays in the same tent wouldn’t be any different. We are living in a new era. The old homophobes/bigots from the 60’s are losing their political clout and not making a good case at all. I think Obama has too much on his plate right now anyway and might toss the Gays a bone (no pun intended) in a couple of yrs when he is trying to get re-elected. It worked for Clinton. Good post
ReplyDeleteBelieve me, Chris, there is a separation of Church and State when it comes to divorce court. None of that feel good stuff you said in your vows applies in court... unless you're a man.
ReplyDeleteAs for gays in the military, I'm with you: as long as you can kill a Muslim, I don't care what you like to do with a willing adult in your bedroom. "Guys-guys" kill me. It's as if having a homosexual around is somehow going to turn them homosexual. "Bubba, you been spendin' too much time staring at that Jeff Gordon poster." I'll admit that when I went to field training none of the girls there were desirable, but they improved over the following weeks. That said, not one of the guys started looking better to me. And not one of them, straight or gay, flirted with me. Straight guys figure any gay man around is suddenly going to start coming on to them. Look, the constant gay jokes, the flannel shirt, tobacco stains, and 27 missing teeth are probably going to do the trick - you don't need a law to keep the gay men off you.