The last surviving cast member of the show Bonanza has died. Pernell Roberts, who played the relatively level-headed (and boring) Trapper John, passed away from pancreatic cancer at his home Sunday at the age of 81. His only son died in a motorcycle accident in 1989. It will be remembered that Roberts bit Lorne Greene's left nipple off during a fight while both men were auditioning for the role of Battlestar Galactica's Commander Adama, which Roberts felt was a natural fit for him since he had played Adam Cartwright. Pernell leaves behind a passel of past and present wives... and one helluva hairpiece.

Arrived here via BlogCatalog.
ReplyDeleteBonanza, that brought back a few memories. And now they're all gone. I'm sure time is speeding up!
Mike
His passing makes me feel really sad. Pernell is a disant cousin of mine (via the 'wiregrass' Georgia Roberts clan). Even though we've never met, I did get to communicate with him briefly just before he started chemo. I hope he knew Christ as his Savior. He was married 3 times and I'm told he did indeed have a bad temper. Well, he will be missed. It's the passing of an era for many of us. God bless! :)
ReplyDeleteAh the biting off a nipple of a rival. Classic Hollywood. He was Tyson before Tyson was cool...
ReplyDelete@67Mike: Dekalb, TX still has on it's sign (up until when I left Texas) "Home of Dan Blocker"
ReplyDelete@Sparky: Sorry for your loss. Distant cousin. Wiregrass Roberts. I wonder if'n he's a distant cousin of mine. That's mean you and I are...
He AND Michael Landon died of pancreatic cancer, from what I understand. Prostate cancer for Lorne Greene. Strange.
@Mike: I was playing with the old rumor about Lorne Greene and the alligator :-) To my knowledge Pernell never actually bit off a nipple... though Sparky points out he did have a temper.
Hi Edward, My Correction - I was wrong. PR Junior was married 5 times. [my blushes] He might be buried here or he might be buried in California, I don't know.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words. I know he wasn't a nice guy (a real commie lib lefto). If we'd ever met we'd have probably butted heads.
Yeah, we probably are related. Got money?? [giggle] JK I never can find any rich relatives. :)
TTFN "Kuz'n"
My Roberts Genealogy - http://www.redbirdacres.net/roberts.html