Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Battle for Decatur

On Saturday we attended a reenactment of the Civil War Battle for Decatur. This was a commemoration of CSA Lieutenant General John B. Hood's 23,000-man Army of Tennessee's attempt to cross the Tennessee River near Decatur, Alabama. Union Brigadier General Robert S. Granger was able to force Hood west approximately 45 miles with a force of between 2,000 and 5,000 men... then he promptly burned Decatur to the ground. Everyone did a great job (Saturday, not in 1864) and my family and I are thankful that so many people are dedicated to preparing for and performing these reenactments so that we may - if only for an afternoon - imagine what our forefathers went through in the course of building this nation.
I took some video and photos of the event without planning to do anything with them, but ended up putting this together with a standard program on my computer.

2 comments:

  1. I have never been to a reenactment of a Civil War Battle but it looks pretty cool. Being in the Army for the last 22 yrs I can't imagine fighting a war like they did. It took alot of balls to stand in a line and shoot at each other. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't been in a long time... since I was little older than in my profile photo. It is difficult to imagine being so ingrained with a mindset as to stand in a line and fire and drop dead. I'd like to think I would have eschewed "bravery" and dug a foxhole or snuck through the woods, but then, I'm sitting in a swivel chair right now... so who knows?

    ReplyDelete