Sunday, April 12, 2009

For Every Action There is an Equal and Opposite Reaction

You’ve heard this rule-of-thumb all of your life. Actually, I think it’s a law in some jurisdictions, but here in Alabama it’s more of a convention. But rule-of-thumb, law, convention, have you ever really considered its meaning? I thought I had, but as of recently, I’m not so sure.

I’m a lover of movies. I have the large flat-screen TV, home theatre receiver, self-installed surround sound speaker system, the DVD player, and the perfectly arranged furniture. I’ve got about 100 DVDs and possibly another 200 VHS tapes. My collection runs the entire spectrum of motion pictures, from comedies to parodies, from horror to comedy-horror, from westerns to western-comedy, to a few Hal Needham films. Quite simply, I love movies; however, that statement is soon to be put to the test, and the closer the day gets, the more I realize I may just be a lover of certain movies.

My wife has been very good at sitting down and watching movies with me. She likes westerns and loves John Wayne, so it was no great stretch to get her to watch the likes of Big Jake or Open Range. And since she already liked The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven was a given. She’s even watched my favorite: Lonesome Dove - all 6 hours and 12 minutes of it, although we did break it up over three days.

And I have to tip my hat at her for sitting through more ‘guy-esque’ movies such as The Big Lebowski, Kingpin, and Fight Club (there was a lot of eye covering during the bloodiest scenes, but that’s okay). She watched Bubba Ho Tep and Army of Darkness, and yet still caught over half of my Monty Python collection. Overall she’s been quite a trooper, though she wasn’t able to make it past the opening sequence of what is possibly the most ‘guy’ movie in history, Apocalypse Now – Redux.

One Good Turn Deserves Another

The list above shouldn’t surprise anyone: I’m a man. I don’t apologize for that fact, or that I like guy movies. But having said that, I’m no Archie Bunker, either. That means that I also watch movies of my wife’s choosing. One good turn, right? The first one she picked for me to watch was The Thin Man. And hey, as a former private eye and (current) social tipster I find it difficult not to like Nick Charles. In fact, I now reach for one of the series as often as she does.

I logged quite a few hours watching Christmas films with the wife this last holiday season, although many of those hours were A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation, so I don’t know how much credit I actually accumulated. I did watch one that starred Linda Hamilton as a German woman playing Christmas Eve-host to twin squads of Nazi soldiers and American G.I.’s. It was touching and I watched all of it. (I do have to admit, though, that I was waiting through the whole movie for a robot Santa to crash through the wall and lay waste to everyone… but still I watched mostly quietly.) And to boot I’ve made it through something starring Kate Winslet. But now the ultimate test is coming…

This weekend my wife is insisting I sit down and watch a marathon of movies from The Hallmark Channel. Every married man in the world should know exactly what I’m talking about when I mention this channel. Murder, She Wrote. The Golden Girls. 7th Heaven. And the movies. The many, many movies.

If the Word 'Love' is in the Title, it Probably Wasn’t Made With A Man In Mind

This one is where I’m really in trouble. I don’t think there’s a movie on The Hallmark Channel that doesn’t have ‘love’ in the title. Love on the Prairie. Love Whispers Softly. Love Rides a Wagon. Love Floats on the Breeze. I’m screwed. I just don’t think I can make it through a movie with the word ‘love’ in the title unless, perhaps, it’s something like Death Loves a Gun.

Always the supportive wife, Benita has pointed out to me that the co-executive producer of my favorite movie of all time, Robert Halmi, Jr., also produces 99% of The Hallmark Channel movies. I’m sure she told me that to give me hope that I will like Love on the Plains as much as I do High Plains Drifter, but it mostly just depressed me. It’s like finding out that the same God that created The Andes also created Andy Dick.

I know you are all saying that I should just shut-up and watch the ‘love’ movies this weekend. After all, didn’t Benita watch all of Lonesome Dove? Yeah, I guess so… but it’s not like she watched it all straight through. I may as well accept the fact that I’m going to have to watch these movies with my wife. So ladies, sit your husbands down and make them watch these movies, too. After all, misery loves company.



Blogquest: What is the ultimate 'guy' movie? What movie represents the quintessence of the 'chick flick'? Should men and women try to watch each others' favorite movies/television shows? Where should the lines be drawn for each?

7 comments:

  1. I think men/women should watch each other's movies/ TV shows, as it helps each to understand the other to a degree. The quintessential 'chick flick' -- Love Story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward,

    I have a couple of picks for ultimate “guy” movie Pulp Fiction, Iron man, Kelly’s Hero’s, Terminator, Platton , The Watchmen, The Hollywood Knights and American graffiti just to name a few.

    Yes men and women should watch each others favorites but I think there needs to be a balance. Also I feel we need to provide women with their own space to enjoy their Movies/shows. I have my Man Cave down stairs with a similar set up to yours and also my wife has a home theater setup in the living room. One good thing about my wife’s setup is the couch is so comfortable that she usually falls asleep during her chick flicks ;-)

    Not sure where the line should be drawn for each..maybe at musicals for chick flicks and blood and guts for guy movies.

    Ok I guess I can deal with the Hallmark channel but the Lifetime channel is banned in our house. They show some of the most depressing movies/shows I have ever seen. Like “Love Story” Just kidding Anonymous but Ryan O’Neals career did tank after making that flick.

    I also get disturbed during the opening scenes of Apocalypse Now. Does – Redux open with something different? Not a big fan of Martin Sheen but everyone else kicks ass in this movie. Favorite quote “Charlie don’t surf” classic! Good post !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hollywood Knights. You had to did deep for that one, Chris. Its IMDB popularity just went up 11% because of your mention.

    Musicals and blood and guts. Where does The Rocky Horror Picture Show fit in? That one I can handle. Probably due to the dress code. Greese, not so much.

    Redux is intense... to the tune of 3:22 long. It rearranges some scenes for better continuity and adds an extra sub plot for... well, I'm not sure why. Not for the average Martha Stewart fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah the “Knights” was a classic staring a young Tony Danza and Michelle Phifer: favorite quote “this punch does have a little wang to it”.

    I’ll have to check out Redux, another funny part (Ap Now) I thought was when they stole Robert Duval’s surfboard.

    The only thing I know about The Rocky Horror Picture Show is Meatloaf, transvestites and that everyone would go to the midnight showings dressed as their favorite character. Yeah Grease was pretty bad but Olivia Newton John had it going on back then. One more thing I totally forgot to add “The God Father” and “Scarface” to the list of favorite Mens flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dudes movies.
    1. Quigley Down Under.
    2. Pulp Fiction.
    3. Braveheart
    4. Stand By Me
    5. Tombstone

    Kara and I have a deal. I don't have to go and see her movies and she doesn't have to go see mine. We have to agree on rentals and pay-per-views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me begin by saying tha although I respect a film makers ultimate control over thier product. I do not as a rule enjoy director's cuts and other reissues. I was thrilled with the prospect of seeing a restored print of Apocalypse Now. I did not enjoy Redux. To me it changed the entire tone of the movie. I took exception with turning Willard into a type of clown. I enjoyed "learning" what happened around some of my favorite scenes... such as What Clean and Chef were fighting about... I did not learning anything from the enire plantation excursion. These type of extended cuts are better left to the DVD and "making of" projects such as the excellent "Hearts of Darkness". I have not watched Redux since seeing it in the theater but will occasionally reach for Apocalypse Now. On the greater question you should be at least fluent in "Pride and Prejudice" if you harbor any hopes of martial bliss. BigJim (yes that one)

    ReplyDelete
  7. BJS,
    While I agree with you for the most part on Redux, it did tie up some loose ends and incontinence in Marlon Brando- uh, I mean problems in continuity that always bugged me. But the 49 extra minutes were excused for two reasons:
    "Bummer for the gook, though, ain't it?"
    and
    "'Who are you?' 'I'm next, ma'am.'"

    ReplyDelete